'Use to' or 'Used to'

USE TO,  USED TO.
Mostly the second is used though the first is also right.

USED TO is used like an aux by many grammarians while it is absolute to use as a verb.

Are you used to smoke?
Do you use to smoke?
I am not used to smoke.
I don't use to smoke.

In U.S.A,  Likely USED TO is concerned as an auxiliary where as it is not accepted based on British rule.

In U.K, USED TO is split USED is a past or past participle from, and TO is a preposition followed by an infinitive verb.

I don't have an idea ARE YOU USED TO SMOKE? belongs to  which voice. But it seems to be an impersonal passive. Even if it is concerned as a passive form, how could it be under rule? I'm not sure about it.

DO YOU USE TO GO TO TEMPLES?
YES, I DO USE TO GO. 
I DON'T USE TO GO.

WHAT DO YOU USE TO TAKE INSTRUMENT TO PLAY IN YOUR ORCHESTRA?
I USE TO PREFER KEYBOARD.

DO YOU USE TO WALK DAILY?
I DON'T USE TO DO IT DAILY.

All seen above are intransitive active structures.

In which way, ARE YOU USED TO GO TO TEMPLES? is right.

Does any expert have an answer? If so, may clarify by your comments, or WhatsApp to 91-9842490745

V. MAHENDIRAN
Nagapattinam




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ADMISSION GOES ON FOR OUR ONLINE ENGLISH COACHING CLASS